Saturday, March 14, 2009

Meatballs & Sauce For A Crowd

I offered to make meatballs in spaghetti sauce for my niece and Mother-in-law's birthday party tonight. My sister-in-law is having us all up for dinner, which will be fun!

I created this recipe as I was going along. I figure after watching Food Network all these years, I could wing it with what I've learned from Giada, Sandra and others.


















Meatballs:

4 pounds lean ground beef
1 heaping Tbs. dried, minced onion (fresh has too much moisture)
3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
1 egg
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2-3 Tbs. parmesan cheese (yep, I used the can)
1 Tbs. italian seasoning
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper




















Line 2 cookie sheets with foil. Combine all the above ingredients and form into balls, I used my cookie scoop, and place onto the cookie sheets. This is important because if you add them to the hot pan as you go, they will brown unevenly. When you have enough for a pan or two, heat 1 Tbs. olive oil in a pan (I did two so I could keep things moving) and when the pan is hot, add the meatballs. I was able to fit a cookie sheet's worth into each pan. Brown on one side, then flip them. There's no need to cook them through because the crock pot will do that for you.

Spaghetti Sauce:

2 1/2 jars prepared spaghetti sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tsp. italian seasoning, divided
1/2 large onion, diced and cooked until soft

Spray your crock pot sleeve with non-stick cooking spray. Pour 2 jars spaghetti sauce, the tomatoes, cooked onion, 1 1/2 tsp. italian seasoning and stir. Add meatballs into sauce as they are finished browning. Ever so gently, fold them into the sauce being careful not to over-stir them. After you have added all of the meatballs, pour 1/2 jar of spaghetti sauce and the last 1/2 tsp of seasoning on top. Again, gently stir to settle it into the top meatballs, don't stir to the bottom.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve in hoagies, or over spaghetti noodles.

This makes enough for at least 6 adults, a teenage boy, and 5 kids.

The picture below was taken just after putting into the crock pot. Don't let the pink meat freak you out.

1 comments:

Gardner Momma said...

They were yummy! Thanks so much for bringing them!