Friday, August 8, 2008

Sweet Potato Fries
















For me, sweet potatoes were a once a year thing always covered with butter, brown sugar, and buried under yummy marshmallows at Thanksgiving. I've been reading for years about the health bennies of eating these things (probably not covered in sugar and butter), but I just couldn't figure out how to sneak them into my repertoire'. Until now....here's a recipe I discovered earlier this year. Bill, G, and I like them. Hammie would rather have them raw without any spice. They smell really good baking.

Trick of the trade: buy small-medium, skinny sweet potatoes/yams. They're so fibrous that they're hard to cut if they're too large. I cut them in half, cut the halves in half, and then make even sized wedges/sticks.

2 small-medium sweet potatoes (or yams), peeled and cut into wedges or 1/2 inch sticks
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. cinnamon

Toss the sweet potatoes into a gallon-sized Ziploc with the rest of the ingredients. Toss vigorously to coat. Spray a little Pam on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes stirring once or twice.

I've also used a Oriental/Asian spice mix instead which was yummy, too.

This recipe feeds a family of 4.

4 comments:

Gardner Momma said...

I would never have thought of cinnamon and chilli powder together... I will def. try these. I love sweet potatoes!

Lisa said...

I'm not a sweet potato fan but if you were, these would be great I bet.

Melanie said...

I know, I was skeptical about the spice mix, but it works! Like I mentioned, I also really liked the Asian spice. It's a little expensive, but lasts a while.

Nancy said...

Really enjoying your blog. I don't get on often enough though! I'm going to try the sweet potato fries. Sounds interesting! Couldn't ya still sprinkle on a few marshmallows toward the end of the baking time?? Just kidding. Love the pics of the kids! xoxoxoxo :)