Friday, August 1, 2008

Sweet & Sour Meatballs

This is an "original" recipe that I actually created. Most of my other recipes are variations of someone else's creative mind. Anyway......this is a favorite of Bill, G, Hammie, and mine. Ree, not so much.

Editor's note: Next time I will take a more yummilicous picture on a pretty plate. I was...like, in a hurry.
















Meatballs:
1 pound extra lean ground beef
3 Tbs. Teriyaki marinade (I like Lawrey's, I also have used their Sesame Ginger mar.)
1/3 of an 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, undrained; save the rest for the sauce
1/2 cup cooked rice (I use brown)
1 Tbs. dry minced onion (cuz I don't have time to chop fresh that fine)
black pepper, to taste

Combine all of the above and form into 1 - 1 1/2 inch meatballs. Put a teensy bit of olive oil in a hot pan. Add the meatballs, packing them in tightly. It's really important that the pan is hot, I put my burner at 5 (out of 10). Turn the meatballs when they start to brown. I use a wooden spoon to gently turn them cuz they can break apart kinda easy. After you've let the 2nd side brown, but they're not cooked through.

Then Add:
1/2 of a chopped bell pepper (any color)
Rest of the undrained pineapple
Good drizzle of the teriyaki or sesame ginger marinade
Good drizzle of Catalina (I use fat free) or sweet & sour sauce
sesame seeds for garnish

Turn the heat down and let it simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the peppers are crisp-tender. I also added a little pineapple juice I happened to have, but you can just add more sauce(s), too. Serve over hot rice.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm trying this! It's really funny that you post it because I was just thinking how good they sounded like 3 days ago but that I didn't know how to make them. HA!

Melanie said...

You should, they're pretty good. I remember making them for a New Year's get together you guys game to several years ago. You can put them in the crock pot after they're brown for party purposes. I actually made 2 pans of them last week and froze some for when I don't have time to cook one night.

Lisa said...

Brilliant! I need to buy a crock pot. We finally figured out ours was defective. And I've never bought another.

Anonymous said...

Yummy!
I see Ree still has her bruiser mark in the pool pics. Owie!

Melanie said...

Lorilicious, oh my heck. Yes, it's almost all gone now except for just a smidge on her inner eye bone area. We can take her out in public without people asking us what happened. Goodness.

Lisa said...

Hahaha Lorilicious, I like your name!