Thursday, September 25, 2008

5 years ago today..........

I need to take a walk down memory lane. Just like most Moms out there, every year my 3 "babies" get older, I get both excited and a little panicky all at once. Excited because I can workout, dabble with a craft project, paint my toenails, etc. without too much interruption. Such an exciting thing for me! Then I get a little panicky because another year has gone by and I hope and pray they've learned enough in said year to advance through another.

So 5 years ago today, I was packing the last few things into my overnight bag to take to the hospital where I was scheduled for an early morning c-section. To say I was totally "over" the whole pregnancy thing is an understatement. I was crabby, in pain, and exhausted. I had just put the last thing in my bag, lifted it down and felt my back slide out. Like, all the way out and it hadn't been good for about 5 months prior. My poor Billy came rushing in to help me up and I very crabbily limped to bed uttering naughty words under my breath.

The next morning we got up super, super early to get to the hospital to finally have the babies. Bill hit every single pothole imaginable from here to there. The nurse made sure I had one of those special beds with the fancy inflatable mattress when she saw I could barely walk from the wheelchair to the bed. Then my sweet, totally awesome doctor thought it would be humorous to poke fun at the fact that "wasn't I glad my back had only been completely out for 1 day?" At that particular moment, I didn't find the humor in his ribbing. Plus he was eating an apple and I was starving. Rude!

Then.......they took me into the operating room, got me ready to go and we had our sweet little bundles of healthy joy + love at an astonishing 1 minute apart. Hammie came first, then Ree. One of the nurses snapped a great picture of Bill and I checking them out for the first time. All the months of worry, pain, crabbiness, and fatigue were worth it in that one moment.

2 comments:

Gardner Momma said...

Grandma & I were reading this together and we thought it was so cute and sweet! Congrats - I can't believe that 5 years have passed since our little angels came along. H & H Happy Bday tomorrow!

Lisa said...

I remember watching their ultrasound on mom and dad's TV very vividly with baby A and baby B. I remember finding out there was one of each, and of course waiting anxisouly to peek through the glass as they were weighed in the nursery the day they finally came. Aww, they're growin' up. Now we get hilarious phone conversations with them...so worth it!