Saturday, January 3, 2009

Clam Chowder


















I made a batch and a half of this chowder New Year's Day for Mom, Dad, Lisa, and my fam. I think it's better as a "regular" batch, but it was still good. I found the base recipe (potato soup) in a Paula Deen magazine. I added in the celery, carrots, and clams.

1 bag frozen cubed hashbrown potatoes (smaller the cubes, the better)
3 cans reduced sodium chicken broth
1 can reduced sodium cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup each diced onion, carrot, and celery
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 - 8 ounce block reduced fat cream cheese, softened and cubed
2-3 cans clams, drained and slightly rinsed (tuna sized cans)

Combine the potatoes, broth, soup, veggies, and black pepper in a sprayed crock pot. Cook on low for 6+ hours. Add the cream cheese and clams. Cook on high for 30-45 minutes until cream cheese melts and soup becomes creamy.

Serves 6-8

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Mmm it was tasty!!! Thanks again for having us. Lincoln had a blast with the big kids. He really wants to be like them someday.

Gardner Momma said...

I think it looks delish. Why don't you just come over and make it for me and I'll pretend that I did it?

Melanie said...

It's pretty good and it's easy! If we lived closer I'd do it for ya!